Predict, assess and develop emotional intelligence abilities.
Gain unprecedented insights about people’s real emotional intelligence abilities to help you predict and enhance their success. The only abilities-based emotional intelligence test, the Mayer-Salovey-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test (MSCEIT) takes a direct, unmediated measure of this fundamental capacity. The original pure EI test, MSCEIT is like an IQ test for emotional reasoning.
Developed by Peter Salovey, Jack Mayer and David Caruso, originators in the field of emotional intelligence, MSCEIT is designed to assess and develop emotional intelligence ability in four key areas:
- Recognise their own and others’ emotions
- Generate and use emotions in problem solving
- Understand emotions and how emotions may change
- Manage their own and others’ emotions.
These abilities enable people to monitor their own and others’ feelings and emotions, and use this information strategically and intelligently to communicate more effectively, increase personal resilience and achieve goals.
Recommended for anyone in roles involving significant levels of management, interpersonal communication, team work and customer service, MSCEIT helps achieve more effective leadership, greater productivity, higher customer satisfaction and enhanced engagement.
Applications of this targeted emotional intelligence tool include:
- Leadership and talent development
- Talent selection
- Executive and workplace coaching
- Team building
- Student and teacher development.
MSCEIT can make a decisive contribution to effective workforce selection and development initiatives, offering clear benefits.
- Provides a direct, objective measure of actual emotional intelligence functioning
- Increases the efficacy of leadership development and other training
- Renders employee recruitment and selection more efficient and reliable
- Helps improve group processes
For managers and coaches
- Enables evaluation of an individual’s emotional intelligence at a deeper level
- Accelerates coaching by identifying important needs early
- Helps identify root causes of problems or blocks
- Provides a framework to develop key skills
- Promotes self-awareness in a range of functionally critical areas
- Places current levels of performance into perspective
- Provides a practical guide to improvement
Based on scenarios typical of everyday life, the MSCEIT measures how well people perform tasks and solve emotional problems, rather than having them provide their own subjective assessment of their emotional skills. This makes the MSCEIT test ideal for situations where respondents may want to create a positive impression or ‘fake good’ and challenges them with information about themselves they rarely get from other sources.
Skills tested include the ability to identify emotions expressed in a face; to create feelings that can help solve problems, communicate a vision or lead people; to predict how someone will react emotionally; and to enhance decision making by integrating thought and emotion. Such skills play a vital role in just about every organisational function, from leadership and team-building to negotiation and planning.
The test reveals a total EI score, two area scores, four branch scores and eight task scores with graphic representations and detailed explanation of score meanings. Supplementary scatter scores are also provided and a positive-negative bias score. Individual scores are analysed against normative samples based on extensive MSCEIT use at research sites around the world, so results are accurately benchmarked.
MSCEIT results are presented in our unique and comprehensive Personal Development Report.
Start using MSCEIT
You can start testing now by purchasing a report. You can also book a personal debrief with one of our qualified experts. Ask about volume discounts for large businesses, request sample reports or contact us for advice on integrating MSCEIT into your HR and talent initiatives today. Or take your emotional intelligence knowledge and skill to the next level by becoming a certified MSCEIT practitioner.